TITLE: Nurse Manager, Perioperative Services
DEPARTMENT: Ambulatory Care Unit/SDC, Operating Room, PACU, CVPA, IV Therapy
REPORTS TO: VP Patient Care and Perioperative Services
SUPERVISES: Registered Nurses, OR Techs, PSA, PCT, Anesthesia Assistants, HUCs, Staffing Coordinator
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
A Registered Professional Nurse with overall responsibility for the day-to-day operations of Perioperative Services which include the Ambulatory Care Unit, Operating Room, PACU, CVPA and IV Therapy.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Overall responsibility for all aspects of perioperative operations including the daily schedule, staff assignments, OR efficiency and throughput.
• Maintain JCAHO and other regulatory agency requirements in accordance with standards.
• Creates and Maintains Department Policies and Procedures and work rules and uniformly applies Hospital and Department Policies and Procedures to department Operations.
• Designs and implements staffing patterns responsive to a dynamic care setting with fluctuating volume.
• Interviews, hires and oversees the orientation of new employees. Collaborates with Human Resources on personnel management and recruitment and retention strategies.
• Challenges current working practices; identifies process improvement opportunities and presents recommendations and solutions to management. Engages and commits to the organization’s culture of continuous improvement by actively participating, supporting, and promoting CCHC Pillars of Excellence
• Assesses plans, develops, implements, evaluates and revises education programs to meet the clinical needs of staff or to comply with federal, state, regulatory or organizational policy.
• Assists in determining accurate and reasonable charges for services of the department through coordination with the Vice President-Fiscal/Financial Services or his/her designee. Ensures charge reconciliation and edits are performed on a daily basis, responding to queries where necessary.
• Responsible for aggregating and reporting monthly operational, performance, access and customer satisfaction metrics that are benchmarked against internal and external sources and goals, using the metrics to identify opportunities for continuous improvement in each area.
• Provides ongoing formal and informal feedback regarding the performance of staff members. Completes annual performance appraisals.
• Assures all staff members follow regulatory standards; i.e.; licensure, orientation, ongoing education and annual competencies.
• Shared operational oversight of ambulatory surgery center.
• Plans unit staff meetings. Provides input and standards in formulating patient care policy and procedures. Works with medical staff to coordinate medical and nursing management of patient care. Utilizes and promotes Quality Improvement standards and practice.
• Participates in all nursing supervisory activities including throughput and administrative call.
• Serves on nursing committees, hospital committees and professional nursing organizations.
• Serves as a real time clinical resource person and assists nursing personnel in assessing patient/family status to plan nursing care.
• Performs other work-related duties as assigned or requested.
• Current, unrestricted Registered Nursing license in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
• Three to five years progressive perioperative leadership experience required; including pre- and post-operative care and Endoscopy. CVPA and/or IV Therapy experience preferred.
• Experience working with labor unions preferred.
• CPI (Crisis Prevention) within 4 months of new position and must renew annually.
• Knowledge of theories, principles and concepts acquired by completing a bachelor’s degree in a college or university.
• EPIC EMR experience strongly preferred
• Must maintain BLS certification
Nurse Manager, Perioperative Services, Full-time, Permanent